Sunday, August 9, 2009

happy Indepence Day !!

Dear friend,
advanced Indian Independence Day wishes to you !!
The reason for wishing you a week in advance is because I just came back from volunteering in the day-long Independence Day celebrations organized by the Consulate General of India (CGI) at the Yonge-Dundas square. The program included a procession along prominent streets in downtown area by various states (provinces in India) such as Karnataka, Goa, Rajasthan, describing their states. The most intriguing one was a procession by Indian Oversees Congress Party. I never knew one such association even existed!! Didn't know how appropriate it was for the CGI to patronize a political party, but being a Congress follower, I didn't mind watching Rahul Gandhi's blow-up taken around Toronto!!

Here are some pics from the event:

my state, Karnataka's procession

me with Karnataka Maathe (mother Karnataka)

Rajasthan's procession was quite colorful (but incomparable to Karnataka's)

This summer I've witnessed so many national/cultural events, almost one every week. Yesterday I had been to a Greek festival and the week before to a Caribbean event. I've been to 4 Indian programs this summer. I'm amazed by the amount of diversity in this country and the welcoming nature of its people.

1 comment:

Deepak Andeli said...

Hey Raghu, Thanks for dropping by wonder how you found me

Anyways I see you doing great over there really liked Independence Celebration one ..

hoping to read more...