Wednesday, August 27, 2008

my updates

Dear friend,
Just few more days left before the D-day when our MBA program starts formally. Almost all the profs we meet scare us by telling it’s going to be a grueling fall/winter session. We are getting mentally prepared for the worst.


The past 3 weeks have been a completely different experience for me. Never ever have I stayed away from home for this long & that too so far away. Every now & then I’m reminded of mom & dad, I think “should I have listened to dad & stayed back in my home-sweet-home?”

Each time I have something at McDonalds or Subway, I’m reminded of those occasions where mom used to prepare some curries that I didn’t like very much & she used to plead “eat this one time son, I’ll prepare your favorite mutton curry tomorrow”
But each time such emotions run through me, I’m reminded of the moral of how even gold needs to be heated & melted in order to make it an aesthetic jewel.


Nagaraj uncle & his family are a great respite for me. Staying with them, I feel as comfortable as I would have staying with my family.
Internet has also been of great help. By visiting some of the Kannada websites, we can ‘almost’ feel at home. I frequently visit kannadaaudio.com, thatskannada.com & prajavani.com. I am constant touch with all my dear friends through mails & chat.


I happened to visit a few must-visit places in & around Toronto such as the Niagara falls, Toronto islands & the CN Tower. We decided we’d rather visit them now, since there may not be much time later to go around.
We had also been to the Toronto Blue Jays baseball game with Boston Red Sox. It seemed more like a networking session where I got introduced some of my Rotman classmates.


In the past 3 weeks, I’ve stayed at different places in Toronto such as Brampton, Dundas West, Elmhurst, Lansdowne & Toronto Downtown. The one thing that completely impresses me is the cultural diversity that’s made this beautiful city. I think you’ll find people from almost all places in the world such as Ethiopia, Ukraine, Burma, China & India (of course).

I think Toronto is a blown up version of Bengaluru. Just as you’ll find people from every corner of India in Bengaluru, you’ll find people from every corner of the Earth here.
SABA (South Asian Business Association), a Rotman club, had organized a very useful session on PR (Permanent Resident, equivalent to US Green Card) application. This has given me some josh to complete the formalities & submit the application. Will have to dedicate some more time this week & weekend for this.


Most of the recommended book list for this quarter is out & most of the students have started preparing seriously. Even I need to start off now, hunting for the books i.e :)
Ok, too much info in this 1 posting. Bye for now..

No comments: