Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Why did Preethi Yake Bhoomi Mele Edi flop? -- An Object Oriented Analysis : )

I had read somewhere that OOA can be used to analyze any system. Here I am trying to apply few of those concepts on Preethi Yake Bhoomi Mele Edi.

Let me first give my experience of watching that movie. I was still under the euphoria of Jogi (which I had seen FDFS & three times later) & felt the in the worst case, even if Prethi.. is 50% worse than Jogi, I can watch it comfortably. But even this tiny expectation was shattered in the initial stage itself in the scene where Chandu (Prem), standing on a bridge, totally drenched in rain, tries to convince his friends that he’ll show his “girl” to his them at the same place. The arguments between his friends & him are vague & abstract.

Then there’s an attempt to bring in mother’s sentiment that is the highlight in all Prem movies. But this part also fails to arouse the kind of emotions that was brought out in Jogi. On the contrary, you start wondering if this was brought in simply as a placeholder.

The only soothing thing in the movie was the song “Sulle sullu..”. Its quite a hummable number that you can use to pull your friends’ legs..

Now to my OO analysis; OO philosophy says that each class must specialize in ONLY ONE functionality. Violation to this rule leads to a buggy program. The mistake Prem did was trying to display a new behavior: acting, whereas his specialization was in directing. Due to this, he was not able to do justice to neither the directing section nor the acting section.
I think even super-star Upendra is suffering from the same problem.
How about actors such as Sudeep & Ramesh who’ve tried to display a new behavior called direction? I think they’ve faired no better. But sometimes they get away with it by “playing safe” & directing remakes.

One exception to this OO philosophy according to me is Dr. Rajkumar. He was both a glorious actor & an amazing singer. But if you observe carefully, you’ll realize that when he started his career as a stage artist, besides acting, he would sing as well. So you can say that Dr. Raj specialized in the combined art of singing & acting. Hence he succeeded in winning accolades in both acting & singing.

So this is my argument. How was it? Please let me know by leaving your comments.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i agree with your concept.. keep going..