Sunday, March 23, 2008

of salsa & jugalbandi

Hi there,
Recently I had been to a Kadri Gopalnath's live saxaphone performance. Now....am I an Indian classical music fan? I
I donno. But I what I know for sure is that I am really mesmerized by the way in which a western musical instrument has been adapted to play centuries old classics such as Krishna nee begane or Nammamma Sharade..
Its said that the Vedas have it mentioned somewhere that "let the knowledge from all over the world come to us". I am really impressed with those Carnatic music gurus who under the influence of this hymns went on to use the violin or the sax instead of the traditional nadaswara.. Isn't that innovation in every sense of the word?

Anyway, lemme jump back to the main topic that I wanted to talk about. In the program, there was a jugalbandi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jugalbandi) between the sax and the violin was so amazing to see each musician playing a strip (as defined by the lead) in his instrument and after each consecutive turn, they would get closer to each other's strip & in end both their music culminates into a single song and they continue to play their piece of the song. The high point of jugalbandi is the moment of culmination of the two independent pieces. If this culmination happens in synch, a huge of roar of applause from the connoisseurs explains the electrifying effect of that moment.
As I was sitting and imbibing such "WOW" moments, a part of me started thinking of a similar pattern that existed in an activity that I was into from past few weeks: salsa. I think there's a bit of jugalbandi in salsa as well. Here too you have a lead performer. Both the individuals are allowed to dance in their (male/female) style, but the overall flow, duration & culmination points are controlled by the lead. After a series of "cross-body leads", "inward spins", "outward spins", etc, both the performers meet again & then dance together. I haven't seen many pro-style salsa dances, but I am sure the "wow" moment even in salsa would be when the two dancers hold each other & then continue to dance together..

No comments: